Rochetta G's Reviews > Zita the Spacegirl

Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke

Mar 22, 12

Read in March, 2011

I picked up this book in desperation not find a science fiction book. To my surprise it was a hard covered comic book. Most of the story is told through story boards. The artist uses shading all types of lines to outline his characters, slight imperfections and emphasize emotions. The lines look as if they were sketched in after the picture was drawn. He uses very warm and dark solid colors. This is recommended for intermediate readers because of it length and content.
A mysterious device hidden in an asteroid opens a portal to a strange world and forces young Zita to become a hero and ultimate explorer. She set out to rescue her kidnapped friend Joseph and save a planet from destruction. Zita is smart and self-sufficient, and loyal to her friends whether they happen to be human, robot, or a giant mouse. Her bravery and sense of adventure are balanced out by the fact that she is thoughtful and wants to do the right thing. During her journey she encounters several different obstacles that test her strength and give her the bravery she never knew she had. This book is a must read for young children as it teaches core lessons in bravery, loyalty, friendship and emotions. I enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zita the Spacegirl.