Lucinda's Reviews > The Animals of Farthing Wood

The Animals of Farthing Wood by Colin Dann

Mar 22, 12

Read in June, 2001

This was a book that i treasured as a child and that i would take everywhere with me & read, until the pages were practically coming away from the spine. I adored even the front cover with all the beautiful animals that enchanted me and it was a story that i revelled in and found myself lost within something that was so poinant, exciting and adventurous. I love a story that is full of drama, action and adventure and this tale has it in abundance which was also similar to other stories that i loved as a child/ teenager such as 'The Wind in the Willows'and '101 Dalmations' and even 'Watership Down' which are all similarly beautiful adventure stories that contain animals rather than people as the central focus points. My imagination was taken on a journey of descovery into a world of rabbit dens, burrows and woods that was utterly delightful and so beautifully captured on paper that it made you feel as if you were actually there; situated in the middle of the wood whilst surrounded by all different types of woodland animals, it was just so completely realistic and authentic that proved how great a writer Colin Dann was. I adored all the compelling and exciting action and drama that which was fast-paced and left you breathless, only wanting to read on and find out more. It was also the animals as the story's characters that i grew to love and treat as indaviduals, because of their uniqueness and distinction. It is a heartwarming tale of friendship, unity and love and one that is both utterly charming & delightful that hundreds of children will love and cherish. If you are a fan of works such as the 101 Dalmations, or Watership Down or the Wind in the willows (which are all fairly similar in terms of adventure/ animal content), then you will completely love 'The Animals of Farthing Wood'. It is a book that i have cherished and loved since a young child when i first beheld it (at aged 10 or 11) and one that i still truly love just as much even now, as it is just so emotive, heartwarming and beautiful that i cannot help but keep re-reading it time and time again. Out of all the books that i loved reading as a youngster this was one of my favouriteds and one which i could not help but take much enjoyment, pleasure and delight from reading and i cannot hence enthuse enough at how utterly charming & poinant a book this is. I urge you to read this at any age as i can garuntee that it will exceed all expectations, and it is a novel that still even today holds a special place in my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Animals of Farthing Wood.