Sherri Owens's Reviews > The Lonely Polygamist

The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

Mar 22, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I listened to the audio version of this book and was captivated by the simple storytelling and the humor. The writing is amazing! From the descriptions of Golden's "beastly feet" to the description of Rusty struggling so hard to do a pull up in PE class that it seemed his intestines were going to shoot out of his rear end like confetti streamers! (I can't quote it exactly because it was an audiobook and I was driving at the time I heard it... but I remember chuckling out loud!) But there were moments throughout the book when I was in tears, too. And that's only part of Udall's magic -- making the reader feel.

I have no connection with polygamy, other than enjoying "Sister Wives" and "Big Love" on TV. And I would never want to share my wonderful husband with anyone. But I admit the idea of a communal lifestyle has a draw. Maybe it's the idea of being able to share household duties and never having to turn down outings because you don't have a babysitter -- can you tell I'm an exhausted working mom?! Anyhow, I love the way Udall presents this atypical family in a way that doesn't make them so much of an oddity. They share the same dysfunction and insecurities we all do. And even though I don't share their lifestyle, I felt a connection with the wives... and I sympathized with their husband, Golden. Which surprised me.

I recommend the book. If you're thrown off by the 600 pages of the printed version, try listening to the audio version on your daily commute. But be careful... you could get so drawn in by this writer that you miss your exit and end up late for work. (Trust me, I know!)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Polygamist.