Kirstie's Reviews > In the Hand of the Goddess

In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, high-fantasy, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters
Read from March 22 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: a hojillion

If you have never read this quartet by Tamora Pierce you need to get yourself to a bookstore NOW.

I am re-reading this series for the first time in eight years after some disappointing reads I've had of late and out of curiosity as to how this beloved childhood series will hold up under more adult scrutiny. Amusingly enough I actually bought this book without realising it was the second in a series and it sat on my bookshelf for a while till I found the time to track down volume one. That was the problem of buying books through the school catalouge in primary school.

This, the second volume in the series, follows Alanna through her days as a squire. We start with her meeting her patron Goddess and recieving a token, giving you an idea why the book is titled 'In The Hand Of The Goddess'. Alanna is now Prince Jonathan's squire and follows him as he leads the king's army in the battle for control over the Drell River Valley against the Tusaine.

The reader recieves a good insight into warfare and combat in this volume and fans of action will not be left wanting.

I love the theme of facing your fears which runs strong in this volume. I'm re-reading this for the (probably) tenth time, but for the first time in eight years, so while I already know most of what's happening and what's going to happen the story still moves me and the characters still bring me to tears. It's a special kind of book that does that.

I could never recommend Pierce's books enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Hand of the Goddess.