Mary Sue's Reviews > Hawaii

Hawaii by James A. Michener

220116
Aug 11, 2008

Recommended for: Those who enjoy multi-generational stories, and those who want to learn about our most exotic state.
Read in July, 2008

I first read this novel in the 1970's. I became very interested in our 50th state and have traveled there several times since. If you have seen the movie, trust me you need to read the book. Michner likes to take the way-back machine all the way to the formation of the islands, then the arrival of flora and fauna and eventually to the arrival of the original Hawaiian's from Bora Bora. The strong parts of the book are the conflict of cultures as new groups arrive. Melting pot is a lovely concept, but it didn't come about easily and I suspect it never will.
I reread this giant of a book in preperation of our seventh trip to the islands and enjoyed it as much as the first time. I have heard islanders say Michner didn't get it right, but this is a novel, not a history and the reader should be aware of that. Mahalo to a great author.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hawaii.

05/21 marked as: read

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Pestotnik I loved this one, too. It's been ages since I read it. My absolute favorite of his is Chesapeake. How can you not love a book that starts out with two Canadian honker characters (Onk and Onk-or)? Or maybe that's a Minnesota thing. Plus it has pirates and Indians and river rats. Short of Peter Pan, that's a hard combination to beat.