Susannah's Reviews > Lady of Avalon

Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: femme

I found in this book what I had been looking for in MZB's other works: an authentic expression of sisterhood, of women working together in their power instead of manipulating and destroying. There's plenty of shenanigans and scheming, to be certain, but there's a pleasant counterpoint in some of the most moving and beautiful writing of childbirth I've ever encountered. MZB doesn't shy away from the unpleasant aspects of pregnancy and childbirth, but she finds a way to capture so eloquently the way it can be when a woman, suffering and striving with all her might to deliver forth a child in the midst of great pain can find support, comfort and strength from the presence of other women. This is, I think, a uniquely female experience, and the scenes of childbirth left me moved to tears, both of remembrance of my own experience with it, and also genuine sympathy with the characters. I think, despite this book's flaws, that takes a special kind of gift that MZB obviously possessed: the gift to convey emotion and deeply meaningful experiences in a way that resonates with the reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Avalon.