Lorenzo Berardi's Reviews > Los impostores

Los impostores by Santiago Gamboa

Jul 25, 07

bookshelves: colombian, a-my-italian-library

Have you ever read anything by David Lodge?
You know, that novelist who is a master in narrating the lives and the funny accidents of American professors visting the UK and English professors visiting the US. Yes, him.

If you know who I'm speaking about or what I mean you will certainly appreciate Santiago Gamboa's novel.
Forget all the South American novelists stereotypes. Forget Isabel Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Luis Sepulveda as well.

This novel is pretty funny and satirizes in a very clever and bright way the academic world. A selfreferencial planet made of quotes, bibliographies, workshops, international meetings. An academic world where almost every friendship among its inhabitants has an envy behind.

However Gamboa succeed in writing a good novel, clearly influenced by Lodge, but with a personal style and hilarious moments of humour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Los impostores.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irwan (new)

Irwan This sounds like something I may like.

What do you mean we should forget Allende, Marquez, etc? Is he "better" than them somehow?

Lorenzo Berardi Hei Irwan!
I mean that he's completely different from them.
Gamboa's way of writing looks outside the South American microcosm, looking more internationally oriented, but with its own very peculiar shades.

message 3: by Irwan (new)

Irwan Hei Lorenzo! I see what you mean now. Thanks.
Btw, what is the english title? Tried searching in amazon without success...

Lorenzo Berardi Hmmm...I've just had a search on the net. I'm a afraid that this book hasn't been translated into English yet. I'm sorry!
By the way, I've discovered that the italian edition translation is a novelist who is also among my colleagues at the radio. The world is not that big, you know!

Zorzynek I thought that godfather of this work was rather Graham Greene than David Lodge, but sure, point taken.