Cat's Reviews > The Sword-Edged Blonde

The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe

Mar 24, 12

Read on March 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I definitely have to agree with other readers - this book is a detective book with strong fantasy/medieval themes. It's very well written, plus there's a little of something for everyone: romance, friendship, mystery, fighting/violence, etc.

Let's start with what I enjoyed: the main character, the plot, the details (rich history and a thoroughly thought out world). Eddie is definitely avoiding his past, yet this mystery refuses to let him do so. He grows a lot through this book, dealing with the past and, at the very end, has hope for the future. Not only has a dealt with a horrific loss of his beloved, he left his entire life (family, friends, title, etc) to escape his guilt. Anyhow, the synopsis is quite thorough so we'll leave it at that.

I really enjoyed the way the author built a complex story with multiple locations and included many multi-dimensional characters. He has created a dynamic and realistic world to set his players upon. Characters range anywhere from guilty, selfish, vengeful, and conniving, to innocent, sweet, and beautiful (physically and figuratively), with anything in between, or often times more than one.

What I didn't like so much was a) the names; they range from normal, modern names (Mike, Eddie, Phil) to really weird, seemingly backward names (wolves = Sevolw, and many others). I say you should either go one route or the other (and at least be more creative with the latter), but don't mix the two. And b) the amount of names I had to remember; not only characters but places (towns, cities, kingdoms; inns/taverns). It could be a little daunting, however, because the story is so rich I didn't feel overwhelmed and the story flowed very naturally even if I didn't remember every little detail.

BUT in the end, I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a great story, regardless of genre. Okay - maybe not anyone but I have to reiterate the fact that this book is written seamlessly (switching back and forth between memory and present-day without any confusion) and is set in a well thought out world complete with it's own history. Lastly, very big thank you to Tor Books & Alex Bledsoe: I won this book, received it in a very timely manner, and read through it in one day (I couldn't put it down!). I'm excited to read the sequel(s) :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword-Edged Blonde.

03/24/2012 page 75
23.0% "Just started this book today and I'm hooked! Very old school detective...so many names (of people and places)!"
show 1 hidden update…