Kevin M's Reviews > Murphy's Boy

Murphy's Boy by Torey L. Hayden

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, abuse
Read from March 21 to 24, 2012

To clarify my 3 star rating - a rating that means to be, 'Yes, it was more good than bad' - I need to provide a short break down for my rating.

Writing Style: 2 stars. Torey Hayden's writing has it's moments. It's heartfelt and she knows how to structure her chapters and episodes well. But I found myself skimming her long, repetitive inner monologues. All I was interested in was the dialogue between characters - especially her interviews with Kevin.

Her Career: I have to give her 5 stars for an impressive and fulfilling career. Not sure if I would have spent as much time doing my doctorate without completing it though. But I think writing about her experiences is a great idea. Kudos!

Kevin's Story: Amazing. It was interesting to see how easy it can be to fall between the cracks of
"the system". His experience going from care facility to care facility is a really powerful story. I would be interested in doing some followup to see how Kevin is coping today.

Would I recommend this book? Maybe wouldn't suggest buying this book at full price. I got my copy from a used book store. I would say, if you find used or at a library, definitely pick it up! It is a fast and easy read. Really heart wrenching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murphy's Boy.