Ian Thomas's Reviews > Sentinels: When Strikes the Warlord

Sentinels by Van Allen Plexico

Apr 08, 12

Read from March 21 to April 08, 2012

Some books make you feel like you're watching a movie when you read them. Others feel like a TV show. Sentinels: When Strikes the Warlord is what I would consider the first book that successfully translates the feel of a comic book into prose. All the tropes and elements are there, from the nonstop action to the pithy dialogue. If I had to point to one single source of inspiration for this novel, it would have to be the work of Jack Kirby, and that's a good thing. The Warlord is reminiscent of DC's Darkseid, while the Sentinels themselves take cues from Iron Man and the Silver Surfer. The action really popped off the page and had cosmic implications, as promised in the cover blurb.

If there's one complaint I have, it's that the writing felt a little unpolished. Lots of adverbs pepper the tale, as does headhopping and some odd dialogue tags. But in the end, it's a downright enjoyable read for anyone who wants their superheroes with a lot less angst and a lot more energy blasts and force fields.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sentinels.