Jinky's Reviews > Irises

Irises by Francisco X. Stork

Mar 28, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in March, 2012

I'm a sucker for sister stories because my sister and I are tight so I am intrigued about portrayals of sisters. This one was tender. I was attracted to the struggle these two sisters Kate and Mary found themselves to face at a fairly young age. Raised strict by a preacher father who soon dies at the beginning of the book. Left with a vegetative mother to take care. Kate and Mary had to be adults rather quickly (though Kate at 18yo was technically an adult). Making hard decisions for the welfare of their present and future. The struggle of deferring dreams or being ambitious came to play. How do they properly take care of themselves and their mother? They had to go beyond the black and white thinking thus the matter of sinking deep to understanding the division of living life vs living in sacrifice took a huge toll on the sisters. Should they let their mother go?

The two sisters had different views about their struggles. They hoped their aunt would be able to help more but come to find that she had sad issues as well. Then, the men of their lives showed promise of semblance of a future. Ultimately Kate took charge to search out facts and legal help. What she found she shared with Mary and together they decided their future. Bittersweet.

An emotionally draining and insightful story. A tender accolade to bonds of family, particularly sisterhood.

Jinky is Reading
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irises.