Whitney's Reviews > Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: satire, classic
Read from April 10 to 17, 2012

I can't believe I slept on Vonnegut so long. I think it was because I had the incorrect impression that his books were science fiction. While there is a science fiction element to this story, that is not the center piece. This is a wonderfully dry and snarky satire.

All of the characters are great and representative of some stereotypical member of society. He can tell you so much about a character in each of their short scenes. The plot takes a sharp left turn when the narrator makes it to San Lorenzo. Overall it made the fictitious weapon of mass destruction, ice-nice, just a plot device and not what the book is about.

The book is about how insane we live as a society. I could get off on a long loose rant about all of the things I see in this book, but you should really pick it up yourself. You'll be glad you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat's Cradle.

04/10/2012 page 98
04/10/2012 page 98
34.0% "Really quick read. 100 pages in a couple of hours. I think Vonnegut is just so fluid in his delivery and his chapters are so short that the pages fly. Found Frand and on his way to San Lorenzo. Just now meeting the other passengers of the plain. Characters, are they. I've never thought about what an ambassador would be like. Ice-nine is a real neat idea. The imagination is wonderful."
04/15/2012 page 194
68.0% "3/4 done. The story is really starting to galvanize. Bokononism is starting to make more sense as more light is being shed on it as a religion. The island of San Lorenzo is a funny little caricature. I really like Julian Castle. The contrast of he and Felix Hoenikker is interesting, both as fathers and their impact on the world through their work."