Kelly Knapp's Reviews > The Retribution

The Retribution by Val McDermid

Mar 21, 12

Recommended to Kelly by: Goodread First reads giveaway
Recommended for: any crime novel enthusiest
Read from March 02 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

OMG! This is book 7, or is that 11? in the series and I loved it; now I have to go read all the previous books. In addition, I learned that this series was made into a TV series. I have to find it!!!

Tony Hill is a criminal profiler. He is in love with Det. Carol Jordan. She lives in the basement apartment of his home, but neither one seems ready to take the next step. The two met when Hill headed up a profiler task force and it profiled genious serial killer Vance. With the help of the task force, Detective Jordan puts Vance behind bars. But He does not remain there.

Vance is a criminal genious, who has some really diabolical ways of killing people. when he breaks out of prison, he goes ofter the people that Tony Hill and Carol Jordan loves. Tony's only real love is Carol, so what hurts her hurts him. Still, Vance knows where to shove the knife deeper by destroying the thing Tony holds most dear. Tony is somewhat stymied in expanding on his original profile, to highly detrimental consequences. Jordan's brother is murdered and she blames Tony.

Added to Vance's excape and subsequent killing spree is another serial killer that Tony is profiling for Jordan's team without her knowledge. This killer seemingly has no modus operandi. The dead are beginning to stack up.

Can Tony profile Vance before he loses more than Jordan's admiration? Can he help catch the other serial killer before he takes his spree to unbelievable heights? Can an obscure, short-lived TV series answer Tony's questions in time, or will he lose everything?

McDermid's character's are so real, I feel like I could fly over to England and actually find them in the police station busy catching serial killers. I wanted to cry for Jordan when she was unable to show any emotion. I wanted to shake Tony and scream at him to not let Jordan push him away just when she needs him the most. But mostly, I wanted to find a way to prevent Vance from hurting these characters, whom I so quickly came to care about.

In depth, fast-paced, and with danger at every turn, this novel is one of the best British crime novels I have read in a number of years. I look forward to reading more Hill/Jordan novels. Please don't let their story end here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Retribution.