Pamela Pickering's Reviews > Loving Frank

Aug 17, 08

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction, recommended
Recommended for: Sandy, Melissa, Molly
Read in August, 2008

MEMENTO VIVERE. Remember to live. This seems to be the theme of the fictionalized version of the long love affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick. I was a little unsure of reading this book (I'm not wild about a story that is structured around infidelity) but I was surprised. It was a great story of a woman torn between living for herself and living the life society plans for us. Not that big of an issue these days but in the early 1900s it could cause scandal. At times I could really identify with the character and at others she seemed horribly irresponsible (I'm not a mother but I doubt I could leave my children while I was on vacation with a friend and move to Europe to be with the love of my life). She, too, was also in flux much of the time as it seems it is often difficult to live with those who are considered artistic geniuses. The ending was far from predictable.

Some of the best parts of the book (for me) were the tidbits of philosophy of the times. I also enjoyed the authors inclusion of some of the influences and mind-set of FLW.

Another note, the artist who did the cover did an exceptional job. It really looks like dappled sunlight on the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.