Patty's Reviews > The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love

The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball

1020899
Somehow I managed to finish our book group's April read before our March read. There are many reasons - I am listening to the March read and did not bring it along to Texas. Also, I had read it before and so was hoping that the audio book would bring me new insights.

Mostly though, The Dirty Life was extremely readable. Once I started it on Friday night, I just wanted to finish it. However, I had to attend my nephew's wedding and get my mom and I back to the Dallas airport. The wedding was very interesting and the trip to the airport was more exciting than necessary. (Next time I will make sure we have a GPS.) But no matter what I was doing, the Essex Farm was in the back of my head, waiting for me to return.

Kristin Kimball is an excellent writer. She tells the story of the first year on the farm with her soon to be husband, Mark. There is nothing sugarcoated about her tale. I did not read about her year and decide this is the life for me. Instead she made me by grateful for the people who grow the food for our CSA.

I recommend this book to those who grow food for themselves or others, to anyone interested in sustainable agriculture and to those who like good stories about people, love and relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Life.