Aaron Michaux's Reviews > Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris

M_50x66
Mar 21, 12

I always wanted to write a book on this topic, and Travis/Aronson have saved me the effort, and done something twice as good as I could ever have done. This book is a must-read for anybody interested in the human condition or societal discourse. The chapters on repressed memory and police interrogation were chilling. But it's not all bad: the chapter on relationships hits the nail on the head for how two people can build a successful relationship.

This book references a tremendous amount of research, but still surprisingly easy to digest. It will be helpful to anybody bewildered by the insane and puerile quality of political discourse -- or why people seem to lie or behave maliciously -- or why otherwise good people do bad things -- or how intelligent people can believe fictitious histories such as alien abductions.

I'm going to give this book 6 stars, because it really deserves it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).