Emily's Reviews > She tells all

Mar 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Read in February, 2012

This plot is about Madison and after one more night of embarrassing herself, so goes back to reflect back on how she got to where she is now. A single mother, with a string of ex's that have all effected her in some way, yet she looks to find another to hurt her again when it is over. What will she learn in looking back now, and can she finally find peace.

This book was not really my cup of tea. I personally couldn't relate to the character and couldn't understand why she was making the choice she kept making. She did finally learn something at the end, but it was that she learned something and didn't grow really. But, I felt it was well written and that I could see the character was built well.

I would give this book a 3 star rating since the writing was actually decent. When it comes to suggesting it to others, I would say it was well written, but the content might not appeal to everyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She tells all.

message 1: by Judah (new)

Judah Davis Emily, I really appreciate this honest review for so many reasons. One of the biggest is because you made me realize something so important. The motivation behind this character's continual decision to sleep with the wrong men is one thing - No Daddy syndrome. Some women (not all), but some women, when they grow up without a loving and protective father, they search for male love and acceptance from the wrong types of men. It is because they were never instilled with a sense of self-esteem and value that can come from having a father's love. This review has really inspired me to explore that concept and ponder how the absence of a father affects different people in different ways. You may have noticed that the character's father never did anything for her but bring her a sausage biscuit. He left her mother for another family and she grew up with no male presence. It was something she was desperately searching for, and in the end, though she never found it, the book hints that she may have filled that emptiness with a relationship with God. Some women grow up without father's love and turn out fine, but others go badly astray and since it something I have dealt with personally, this book is very close to my heart. When something isn't my cup of tea, it can be difficult to articulate that in a tasteful manner, but you did, and I am grateful for that. For me, writing a book felt a little like having a baby. Although the tone is lighthearted, it is somewhat a product of the pain I have felt by having a father who was absent from my life. When some people give my book a negative review, it can almost feel like they're telling me my kid is ugly. So I really appreciate that you highlighted the things that were positive to you and tastefully commented on the things you didn't get. Thank you again so much for taking the time to read and review my book, and also for giving me food for thought and some ideas for some discussion questions. Judah