Ash's Reviews > Glitch

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: own-read

This review is found at www.taleswithtea.com

Warning: Some minor spoilers!

I'm just going to start off by saying that this cover is amazing and I love it and it was the first reason that I stopped and looked at this book. It's really digital, yet soft at the same time. I adore it.
Now, for the review of the content itself! :)
Glitch starts off in a really complex and interesting world. You will get lost inside of this new world and the rules that the people within it, such as Zoe, must abide by.
Glitch is a very fast paced, action packed story. I loved the twists and turns that this story took. I enjoyed the buildup and events - they really kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering what would be revealed next.
I found Zoe, the protagonist, to be a likable character. She wishes her family was able to be close, but the conditions of this new world won't allow it. She feels the strongest desire of connection with her little brother, who she wishes she could save from the coldness of the world they live it. I could relate to these emotions, because I can't imagine not being close to my family and I have a younger sibling that I would do anything in the world to protect. I liked these qualities in Zoe.
I also enjoyed one of the male lead characters, Adrien. At first, I wasn't fond of Adrien's 'swear words', such as godlam and crackin'. But the further into the story I got, the more I appreciated his strange and unique dialect. It gave him character.
I didn't really care for Max's character. I felt annoyed by him mostly and completely disgusted by the way he treated and abused Zoe. His character is a good foil against Adrien's, and I think one of his greater purposes is to show the contrast between them.
An interesting theme in Glitch is falling in love. In Zoe's society, love should not exist, it is not programmed into them. But Zoe's 'glitch' allows her to begin to feel the emotions of love. We get to watch Zoe as she tries to understand what exactly she is feeling and what it means for her and for the other person. It was very interesting to witness a point of view on Love from someone who has no prior experience with it. Zoe is very innocent and naive.
There was a bit of repetition from the narrator and I felt the continuity could have been a bit better, but overall I really enjoyed reading Glitch.

I'm looking forward to reading the second instalment!

My Rating: 4/5

Ashlee / taleswithtea.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glitch.

06/22/2012 page 226