Sarah's Reviews > The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness

The Mindful Way through Depression by Mark         Williams

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: nonfiction, self-help, science
Read in March, 2012

I'm a big fan of Jon Kabat-Zinn and his research into the effects of mindfulness on stress reduction. This book provides an excellent look at how mindfulness can help address the negative thought patterns that tend to spiral out of control and lead to long-term states of unhappiness. Also, the audio tracks of guided meditation on the accompanying CD are very good. I tend to be very wary of guided audio anything because I'm fairly sensitive to the sound of the narrating voice--it will be difficult for me to completely relax if I react to the voice negatively or find it amusing. Dr. Kabat-Zinn's narration was quiet, kind, and free of the unnecessarily florid turns of phrase or odd verbal affectations that tend to turn me off of instructional audio (e.g. the kind you often find on meditation, yoga, or exercise tapes/CDs/etc). Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in this area.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mindful Way through Depression.