Megan's Reviews > Back When We Were Grownups

Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler

Mar 21, 2012

Read in March, 2012

First of all, after glancing at a common complaint of other reviewers.. yes, the characters do have silly nicknames - Poppy, Biddy, NoNo, etc. I suppose if you find that bothersome, this book will grate on you as those characters are present throughout. It's family dynamic, though. It's evidence of the weird little oddities that define any family, and it fits. No complaint here.

I'm always happy with an Anne Tyler book. In this one the main character starts out doubting the path her life has taken. A chance dream makes her seem to believe that she has been swept up simply by happenstance, and perhaps this isn't who she's really meant to be. I think most of us can identify with that on some level. In the end she figures some things out but it's not without a struggle and not without seriously taking a look back on who she was as a young adult, who she is perceived as today, and the way she reconciles the two and arrives at her own sense of comfort of where she lands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back When We Were Grownups.