Sue's Reviews > Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone

Going Solo by Eric Klinenberg

1620128
Apr 08, 2012

Read from March 21 to April 07, 2012

Going Solo is not an easy read. It's a sociological study with lots of statistics, quotes and notes, but for me, it was worth the effort. Klinenberg gives us a great overview of why and how people are living alone. He looks at young professionals, middle-aged people who have chosen to be alone or gotten that way through divorce, addiction, poverty and other causes, and at older people who find themselves alone in their senior years. He had help from a group of graduate students who helped him gather and organize the information. I chose this book because I have been studying the subject of people living alone. I took a ton of notes and marked up a lot of things to read from his detailed bibliography. My only quibble is that Klinenberg focuses nearly all of his attention on people living in big cities, mostly New York. But you can't do everything, and this is the best book I have read on the subject so far.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Solo.

04/04/2012 page 150