Lissibith's Reviews > The Pearl Wars

F_50x66
Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, novel
Read from March 21 to 25, 2012

This is a hard one to review - count that as 3.5 stars. It didn't match up to my expectations. I was expecting a sort of sci-fi/steampunk story. What I got was not really that, though to say what it IS would be spoilery.

The good: That said, its a good, fast paced adventure. The world feels suitably ruined, and the two sides are distinct. There's a variety of people, and the story clips along at a great pace. I found myself really enjoying the background characters and the setup of this world. Use of unexplained and different slang was a nice touch

The bad: The characters felt a little flat. The two main characters were the best-rounded, but of the two, I only found one to have a believable setup and flaws. the other reminded me a great deal of the stereotypical farmboy king from fantasy stories. The book was also hindered somewhat by the unusual and, to me at least, grating decision to use first person for one character's pov and third person for the other.

Overall, recommended for sci-fi fans :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pearl Wars.

03/22/2012 page 22
6.0% "on the down side, first person? Ugh. On the upside, Syracuse as a setting? <3!"
show 1 hidden update…