John Urban's Reviews > Temptation

U_50x66
Mar 21, 12

Read in February, 2012

Poor Chris.
In the short seven months since he and his mother moved to Solitary North Carolina, he's encountered failure and loss, grief and anger, unanswered questions and mystery, lies and betrayal, horror and the supernatural. And now, a kid who could definitely use a vacation from it all is forced to attend summer school.
Such fertile soil for sowing seeds of TEMPTATION.
His will and spirit now broken, Chris's hopelessness and inadequacy against the dark forces at work in this town change his resolve to give in and be left alone, to fit in and get what he can, to start acting like the teenager he is; becoming what those close to him have been telling him all along that he isn't. Helping him on the path of shunning the old is an acceptance toward those who've been bringing the chaos to Solitary and a beautiful new student, Lily.
In this third book of the Solitary Tales, a series known for its suspense and horror, we get what we came back for though presented differently from what we’re accustomed to. Each book has had its own flavor, and in a Fictionaddict.com interview, Travis told listeners that this book would take on a different point of view which has been realized through the darker outlook Chris now has. Through sunglasses tinted with angst, old characters are shunned, new characters are taken in physically as opposed to emotionally, and many of the darker incidents are viewed callously and matter of fact.
But by no means does this softening make it a less enjoyable story. TEMPTATION is arguably the most important book in the series so far, bridging the gap between fear and courage, inadequacy and hope, ineptitude and strength. This is where discovery and answers turn Chris to action.
Yes, answers! While not everything gets revealed here, there are some very satisfying conclusions to some of the questions raised in SOLITARY and GRAVESTONE, and while most of these answers are revealed through dialog, astute readers may find stand-out symbolism in this book worth looking into on their own. I found the inclusion of this interactivity to be an exciting aspect of the book, giving me chills at times even as it offered a little deeper insight into the roles of some of the characters and the goings on.
For me, this series has been a remarkable page-turning find that I can't get enough of. From characters that grab your heartstrings to horrors and suspense that makes putting the book down impossible, this series has it all. While SOLITARY had my heart shaking an angry fist at Travis, and in GRAVESTONE that same fist was up stifling a shocked gasp, here in TEMPTATION it was fist-pumping an excited cheer of satisfaction and hope that will carry me to the anticipated release of HURT in 2013.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temptation.