Kate's Reviews > Pretties

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Sep 08, 08

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Read in September, 2008

the only copy the library had of this was on CD...the lady has a REALLY annoying voice, so I am going to have to put this on hold and wait until I can get a copy to read myself.

At first, I thought this would be a 3-star book because the beginning was just more of the same from the first book. It was still enjoyable, but it was kind of "been there, done that." The second half of the book, however, picked up and became more of its own story. I found the idea of the anthropology study very interesting.

I am enjoying the development of the characters, but forget from time to time that they are only 16-18 years old. It's not entirely believable that kids that age would be able to survive out in the wild like they are, especially coming from such a controlled society. The relationship issues are very "high school," however, and quite believable. That brings the story back into the realm of believable.

I am looking forward to going ahead in this series. Even though it is a young adult series (anyone 13-20 would probably really enjoy it) I am enjoying it as well. It is an interesting look at society and the freedoms we have, what role the government should play in peoples' lives, and what price are we willing to pay for peace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretties.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacy Oh this is a great book, I suggest reading them in order though because you get a little lost otherwise

Kate Yes...I am enjoying them! Looking forward to getting Specials when it comes available. Have you read them all?

Stacy Yes I have and they are wonderful, the author has quite an imagination. I finished Specials a few weeks ago. They are so engrossing that I read the whole series in about 2 weeks!

Stacy By the way thanks for accepting me as a friend

Tricia C Yeah, the audiobook voice is really annoying. How did tht narrator possibly get picked to read ALL of the books? She makes Shay sound like an old woman and zane sound like a retard. Lol