Tori Hoeschler's Reviews > The Matchmaker Of Perigord

The Matchmaker Of Perigord by Julia Stuart

Oct 08, 08

Read in October, 2008

For a book that is only 316 pages, this took me FOREVER to read. The two words I would use to describe the story are "sweet" and "tedious". Julia Stuart does a lovely job of capturing the charms and quirks of a small French village and its inhabitants. One almost feels as though they are watching a play with a cast of 33, each person acting out their strange persona and telling their own story all at the same time. In other words, the reader is getting a lot of details thrown at them at every stage of the story.
Again, I say the book is sweet because of the overall plot; a failing village barber sets aside his life's craft to become a matchmaker. In a small town, there isn't much selection for matching so apparent hilarity ensues. But the story gets so bogged down in the details that it becomes irritating and by the time I finished the last page, I was glad it was over.
Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Suggested With: The ability to speed read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Matchmaker Of Perigord.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda I completely agree. I am reading this for my book club and I am moving very slowly reading this book. It is only because it is for my book club that I would not just quit.

message 2: by Rayna (new) - added it

Rayna Same here. I can't seem to finish it for months now.

Mexx I agree, I started reading it a few years ago and just couldn't do it, it's exhausting to read. I really loved the concept of the matchmaker in a small French village because it reminded me of Chocolat, a book and movie I loved. Too bad it was just so verbose, it had potential.