Laura's Reviews > A Small Fortune

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction-book-club
Recommended to Laura by: arc
Recommended for: fans of Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran
Read from April 18 to 25, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Harris and his extended family as they prosper, flounder, fail and come back together and how thier Pakistani-Muslim way of life is interpreted and misinterpreted. This is the Pakistani/British version of Alex George's A Good American except where George's characters seek to become "good Americans", Dastgir's people struggle to remain "good Muslims" while trying to find ways to prosper in their adopted country.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Small Fortune.

04/18/2012 page 31
04/19/2012 page 86
22.0% "I seem to have been reading quite a few books lately where the male characters are a bit hapless (helpless and bereft, set adrift) and the recently-divorced British immigrant Harris (actually a former Pakistani named Haaris) is among them."
04/19/2012 page 86
22.0% "my list of hapless males of recent book inlcudes the widower Masterji in Last Man in Tower, Alan in Blue Monday, and Aaron (another widower)in The Beginner's Goodbye, and now Harris in A Small Fortune."
04/21/2012 page 131
34.0% "my list of hapless males of recent book inlcudes the widower Masterji in Last Man in Tower, Alan in Blue Monday, and Aaron (another widower)in The Beginner's Goodbye, and now Harris in A Small Fortune."
04/23/2012 page 211
55.0% "Harris' hopes run up and down, up and down."
show 1 hidden update…