MizzSandie's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: author-love-respect-admiration, chrushing-on-fictional-characters, heartbreaking, loved-it, funny-shit, moved-me-deeply, put-life-in-perspective, re-read-worthy, romance, well-written, you-re-doing-it-right, favourite
Recommended for: everyone - this is a mustread - now go read it
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

This book is about cancer.
About teenagers (and kids) that have cancer.
About the struggle of fatal illness and what follows in its wake; about the survivors, the non-survivors and of the people left behind: the parents, the lovers, the friends, the community.
So yes, it is a sad book (but it also a beautiful and hopeful book, i will get to that part later. First the sad part).
A book that made my stomach twist and turn, and my heart feel very heavy; my eyes threatening to drown me in a sea of tears, if I let go, and which made me want to scream and kick and vent about the unfairness of it all - people who are loved should not be lost (!); people who are charming,sweet and adorable should not die, but LIVE on being charming, sweet and adorable (!) if not for eternity, then at least for a LONG TIME, or as a minimum, longER time. Strong, healthy people should not have to face disabeledness, pain and shrivel up - stripped of their dignity (!).
Because what we often want is to look at the glory of life, of healty, happy people and pretend this is all there is to it. that bad things only happen to bad people.

- and still, all of the aforementioned bad things happened in this book. Happens (in spite of John Greens opening disclaimer that this book is a work of fiction, not based on reality, he managed to write a book that I am sure many people who have faced these issues, would acknowledge is very much a part of rality).
Because those things are a part of life, and this world we live in. And as much as we might hate to admit it, seemingly bad things happen everyday to good people. The world is not a wish-granting factory, afterall. Human lives constitute many realities we do not wish to face, unless we are forced too. Realities, some people do not have a choice, but to face, however little they might want to, because it happens to be their life or the life of a loved one.

(now to the hopefull part )
But this is also a funny book. A beautiful book. A book about love, friendship, family, young love, about being vital, strong, and happy, even if you are afloat a sinking ship.
It is a book about the beauty amidst all the sadness, the laughter amongst the tears, the little lights in the dark, the thing that keeps us moving, fighting, loving and makes all the losses we have to face, worth the while and the heartbreak.
Why we would let our hearts get broken into a million pieces, why we love life even if it seems unfair, and how our anger fades into acceptance, that love can thrive even in the midst of loss, disability and pain. That darnkess makes the light shine brighter, seeing it much more clearly, than we ever could on a sunny days. Life is composed of joys and sorrows. "Without pain, there can be no joy" might not be such bullshit afterall, but holds at least some truthfullness to it.
We love and we lose.
We live and we die.
We laugh and we cry.
We fear, we resent, we get angry - and we accept.

That John Green managed to take on the task of writing about this difficult part of life, and both manage to drown his readers in despair, and lift them out of it - opening their eyes, to the realities of life that we fear to look at, and showing us, that it can be looked at, that it must if we are to grasp life in all of it's manyfacetted ways, the ups and the downs, and how it's all tied together in a beautiful, heartbreaking, complicated mess - for that he has my deepest respect and gratitude. And a slight dose of envy - if only I could ever write something as true and as good as this. Instead I am one of John Greens many appreciative readers, deeply thankful that he wrote such an important book, on such a difficult theme, in such a magnificent way.

you did everything

you are a genius

Quotes MizzSandie Liked

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

John Green
“Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

John Green
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

John Green
“The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we'd done were less real and important than they had been hours before.”

John Green
“You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.”

John Green
“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

John Green
“According to the conventions of the genre, Augustus Waters kept his sense of humor till the end, did not for a moment waiver in his courage, and his spirit soared like an indomitable eagle until the world itself could not contain his joyous soul.

But this is the truth, a pitiful boy who desperately wanted not to be pitiful, screaming and crying, poisoned by an infected G-tube that kept him alive, but not alive enough.

I wiped his chin and grabbed his face in my hands and knelt down close to him so that I could see his eyes, which still lived. 'I'm sorry. I wish it was like that movie, with the Persians and the Spartans.'

'Me too,' he said.

'But it isn't,' I said.

'I know,' he said.

'There are no bad guys.'

'Yeah.'

'Even cancer isn't a bad guy really: Cancer just wants to be alive.”

John Green
“You could hear the wind in the leaves, and on that wind traveled the screams of the kids on the playground in the distance, little kids figuring out how to be alive, how to navigate a world that wasn't made for them by navigating a playground that was.”

John Green
“The world is not a wish-granting factory.”

John Green
“You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”

John Green
“Funerals...are for the living.”

John Green
“We live in a universe devoted to the creation, and eradication, of awareness. Augustus Waters did not die after a lengthy battle with cancer. He died after a lengthy battle with human consciousness, a victim - as you will be - of the universe's need to make and unmake all that is possible.”

John Green
“So I wasn't lying, exactly. I was just choosing among truths.”

John Green
“This is your war now.' I despised myself for the cheesy sentiment, but what else did I have?
'Some war,' he said dismissively. 'What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Graze, with a predetermined winner.”

08/09/2012 page 1
0.0% "And so it (finally!!) begins...... :)"
08/09/2012 page 23
7.0% " your driving is unpleasant, but it isn't technically unsafe. :)"
08/09/2012 page 23
7.0% " your driving is unpleasant, but it isn't technically unsafe. :)" 2 comments
08/09/2012 page 24
7.0% " "the diagnosis came three months after i got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now die. " :( because it is sad but :) because john green is such a gifted storyteller and writer."
08/09/2012 page 27
8.0% " "and skinny in a way that parentally aged people usually aren't" heheheeeheee"
08/09/2012 page 37
11.0% "This is so good and cute and i love it. Im scared to read any further. I dont want this to turn bad. I am onto you J.G - you are making my heart swell with joy just so there is that much more to rip into pieces. And knowing this, i venture on...."
08/09/2012 page 74
22.0% " "come over here so i can examine your face with my hands and see deeper into your soul than a sighted person ever could." lol ( yes, i really did. There was sound, i promise you)" 2 comments
08/10/2012 page 131
39.0% " "i'll give you my strength if i can have your remission" point made hazel"
08/10/2012 page 132
39.0% "No!! Dont take the elevator!! Nooooooooo"
08/10/2012 page 157
47.0% " "and in freedom, most people find sin" some important truth to that. Besides the 'most'."
08/10/2012 page 204
61.0% "No more riding in elevators, please? My frazzled nerves can't handle it. And then again, i suspect there will be more elevators- afterall 'the world isn't a wish-granting factory'"
08/10/2012 page 209
62.0% " " you have a choice in this world how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice" - anx so did you J.G., so did you. And i love you for this extraordinary mix of feelings even if it is messing with both my head and my heart."
08/10/2012 page 238
71.0% "My heart... my poor heart hurts from the beauty in all the pain."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MizzSandie I can't stop thinking about this book....

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Wonderful review! You really captured a lot of what I felt (and still feel) about this marvelous book.:)

Bieke {Istyria book blog} Oh this book... this book... this book is just... John Green is the first writer that makes me cry while reading a book. It's so sad and beautiful and sad and romantic and sad again. Love it and I can't stop thinking about it either.

MizzSandie Bieke wrote: "Oh this book... this book... this book is just... John Green is the first writer that makes me cry while reading a book. It's so sad and beautiful and sad and romantic and sad again. Love it and I ..."

it was a beautiful and sad book, and John Green did that mix to perfection. The way he touches his audience and the way he makes these characters come alive and be felt- that is the work of a master.

Bieke {Istyria book blog} MizzSandie wrote: "Bieke wrote: "Oh this book... this book... this book is just... John Green is the first writer that makes me cry while reading a book. It's so sad and beautiful and sad and romantic and sad again. ..."

Indeed. It will be difficult to top this book for him. Looking forward to his next book!

MizzSandie Bieke wrote: "MizzSandie wrote: "Bieke wrote: "Oh this book... this book... this book is just... John Green is the first writer that makes me cry while reading a book. It's so sad and beautiful and sad and roman..."

This is his best book, in my opinion, but 'looking for alaska was also very good i think. So if you havent read it yet, there's a place to start while you wait:)

Bieke {Istyria book blog} MizzSandie wrote: "Bieke wrote: "MizzSandie wrote: "Bieke wrote: "Oh this book... this book... this book is just... John Green is the first writer that makes me cry while reading a book. It's so sad and beautiful and..."
Oh yeah, just bought the ebook this week. Have to read it yet but I'm waiting for my e-reader to read it, so.. :) It's a little easier reading on a e-reader than on my laptop.