Marcie's Reviews > Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again

Apr 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-for-boys, children-s-fantasy, like-and-loves-2013-ccira
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** So far this is such a wonderful package. I love the speedometer chapter headings and the illustrations are so reminiscent of Quintin Blake. My husband could probably tell you whether all the vehicles referred to on pages 37-40 were real or make believe. I love the illustration when Jem (this book is very British - I didn't know Jem was a nickname for Jeremy) and Dad meet Hornblower Bucklwing XI.

OK I finished it, but it was a struggle. Forced me to change from 4 to 3 stars because I had such a hard time getting to the end. I still added it to likes and loves, because the short chapters and quick adventures might make for good read-aloud and to learn geography. It is very British and many of the spellings made me wonder if this really is the American edition. I also wondered if the author on p.84 used both "hell" and "stupid" in the same to pages. It's probably only Americans who would make a big deal about it. Will people also be concerned about Rodin's Kiss on page 83? Kids probably won't even notice these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again.