Samuel Viana's Reviews > Civilization and Its Discontents

Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud

I started to read just only the first chapter and for what read, only for that lonely first chapter... I would say that Freud describes exactly the same problem as ever... there will always be people that would not adapt to the civilization...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Civilization and Its Discontents.

Quotes Samuel Liked

Sigmund Freud
“Expressando-o de modo sucinto, existem duas características humanas muito difundidas, responsáveis pelo fato de os regulamentos da civilização só poderem ser mantidos através de certo grau de coerção, a saber, que os homens não são espontaneamente amantes do trabalho e que os argumentos não têm valia alguma contra suas paixões.”
Sigmund Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents

05/02/2012 page 90
56.0% "Finished the main section of this book - in the general, I agree the main idea: that, in order to maintain the civilization, the man must repress (or better told, "inhibit" them). That fight is not always sucessful, and the neurosis is the result for those who aren't able to do that. On the end, Freud advises that it's possible that the entire mankind can became neurotic and the civilization will not stand anymore."