Adrianna C's Reviews > No Promises in the Wind

No Promises in the Wind by Irene Hunt

F 50x66
Mar 21, 2012

"No Promises in the Wind" by Irene Hunt captured my attention right away. I kept on reading the book only to stop when I had to. I like how it follows Josh's and his little brother Joey's life as the traveled around the country after they left home. The book is only in Josh's point of view as they travel from Chicago to New Orleans to Nebraska and back to Chicago.
This book really captures the struggle some people went through during the Great Depression. For example, it had kids fifteen and ten run away from their home. Josh left because his dad yelled at him for asking for a little bit more food. After he left, he found out that Joey was following him and let him come with him. Josh and Joey earned some money by performing somewhere. Josh was a skilled piano player and Joey could sing very well. With Josh playing and Joey singing, they would be able to get enough money to buy some food, even a job twice.
I like how the author gets them in a good place and after a while it is taking away from them someway. Also, I like how Josh is able to be with his little brother for so long and not fight so much. Even though it is for survival, it is still hard to get along with siblings when they are five years younger than you and both of you are young.
I really enjoyed this book. I only wish I would be able to be like Josh and be be with my sister for so long and not fight with her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Promises in the Wind.