Elise Wilson's Reviews > The Madness Of Lord Ian MacKenzie

The Madness Of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley

Mar 22, 12

Read in March, 2012

I know I'm in the minority with giving this book a mediocre rating. I actually waited with high hopes for this book to come out on Kindle so I could purchase and have a good read. Alas, it was not to be.

What I liked about the book was the basic storyline and the fact that the author writes extremely well -- a good storyteller. I also like the secondary characters and thought the brothers were interesting and had an interesting relationship. And I like the fact that both Ian and Beth were free -- Ian free from an unjust imprisonment and on the way to recovery and Beth free from a life of poverty that enabled a woman in her time to exercise certain rights and privileges.

What I did not like was that the book did not develop a believable love story between its hero Lord Ian and its heroine Beth. I simply could not buy into the supposed romantic love between a man overcoming mental/psychological issues and a woman who was not, but was seemingly clueless as to the depths of Ian's issues. Effective communication is key to any successful relationship. Ian and Beth did not have this -- he did not even understand her most of the time, constantly asking if she was joking. Nor did she seem to understand that she was not the "cure" for Ian -- that while she may love him, and he certainly needed the love of caring individuals -- he needed professional care from folks he could trust.

And I did not like how Beth solved a crime that others, including trained law officials and Ian's brothers who had the power and money to pay for a proper investigation could not manage to solve.

This was my first read by Jennifer Ashley and I really had high hopes for it, given the rave reviews. But this one just didn't work for me. However, I will check out some of her other books. As I stated earlier, she is a good writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness Of Lord Ian MacKenzie.