Danni's Reviews > We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, horror-sci-fi
Read in March, 2012

A slow simmering tale of madness, superstition and prejudice set in a small town that could very well be your own. Told from the perspective of Mary Katherine, who proclaims in the first paragraph that she is 18 but reads more as a young child, the tale chronicles the lives of the surviving members of the once affluent and prestigious Blackwood family. Poor dears, someone put arsenic in the sugar bowl. But, Merricat doesn't want to talk about that; instead she wants to tell you about the village that hates her, how she wishes they were all dead, about the treasures nailed to trees and buried in the yard to ward of change, about winged horses and her desire to live on the moon. What we know about the murder we glean are from snippets of conversation between Merricat's older and extremely reclusive sister, Constance and their ailing Uncle Julian as he tries to recreate the night in perfect detail.

This is horror in the the most subtle sense, where your emotions wrestle and twist in upon themselves. It is delightfully eerie and intensely human throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Evans Oooh, she wrote the Haunting of Hill House, which I've always loved.