Lisa's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2009

I absolutely loved this book. Beautiful writing, dark atmosphere, so descriptive you can almost smell the flowers at Manderley and of course lots of mystery and intrigue surrounding the title character Rebecca.

This is the story of a young girl who marries a wealthy widower, Maxim de Winter, and then goes to live with him at his grand home Manderley, but neither of them can escape the presence of his late wife, Rebecca. Rebecca is kept very much alive by the decorative touches and routine she has installed at Manderley, the memories the local people have of her but also by the intimidating servant, Mrs Danvers.

But there is so much more to discover as the mysteries unfold. I was hooked from the very start and when I finished, I read the afterword and then turned straight back to the beginning of the book and read the first two chapters again. I recommend you do this also - I don't think any of it registered at first reading.

I'm so glad I picked this up - now definitely one of my favourite books ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

02/24/2009 page 154
34.92% "I am really loving this book. So beautifully written."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sherry This is very high on my TBR shelf! I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this.

Lisa Sherry - it is wonderful. I am really enjoying it. Will let you know when I''m done.

Boof Ooh, yes, I'm keen to hear your thoughts too Lisa. Considering that Rebecca is my real name it is scandalous that I have never picked this up yet. I do want to though. Sherry, Stacie is planning on reading it in March I think.

Stacie Yep. I am reading it in March and am really looking forward to it. I have heard many good things about it.

Lisa The film is on BBC4 right now! I've missed the first 25 minutes though, otherwise I would've recorded it to watch once I've finished the book. I would never do it the other way around! I hope the film comes on again some time soon - the few seconds that I did catch, the characters were speaking lines directly from the book so it seems like (hopefully) an acturate translation.

Boof Arrrggghhhh! I have just flicked over to BB4 and it is over half way through now. Oh well. Glad you're enjoying the book anyway, I really must read it.

Sherry Wonderful book and wonderful review Lisa!

Lisa Thanks Sherry. I think you can tell that I loved this one!

Ally The Bright Young Things are reading Rebecca in November - why don't you follow this link and join our debate... https://www.goodreads.com/group/invit...