Rhea's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Aug 11, 08

bookshelves: graphic-novel, comic-books
Read in May, 2008

After spending $ 0.50 on the “The Absolute Sandman” introduction to The Sandman from Neil Gaiman I decided to take the plunge into the entire series. I just finished reading The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 while sitting in the car after I had a tumble down the front stoop.

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes is the first trade paperback collection of the comic book series The Sandman. It collects issues #1-8.

#1 Sleep of the Just
#2 Imperfect Hosts
#3 Dream a Little Dream of Me
#4 A Hope in Hell Neil
#5 Passengers
#6 24 Hours
#7 Sound and Fury
#8 The Sound of Her Wings

Written by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg and Malcolm Jones III, colored by Robbie Busch and lettered by Todd Klein.

The first section was a repeat of the “The Absolute Sandman” ($0.50 in your local comic book store) but the rest of the book follows the Sandman’s quest to retrieve his three objects of power which have been stolen or sold to the highest bidder.

“Wake up . . .” In seeking the power of Death the narcissistic Daemon King summons up Death’s younger borther Dream. Fearful of the consequences the wizard builds a glass abyss to control Dream with bargaining attempts. The Daemon King dies of old age, but passes the burden of Dream’s imprisonment to his son Alex. Only the clumsiness of Alex’s old age expose an escape opportunity, which Dream take full advantage.

After his escape, Dream (Morpheus) goes on a pursuit for his lost objects of power. On the way, Morpheus encounters Lucifer and demons from Hell, the Justice League, John Constantine and his Gothic sister Death.

Neil Gaiman does not disappointed with his writing, although I was warned that I would not like it by the comic book geek attendant. Those damn geeks. Neil Gaiman has always kept my interest, his writing is clear and the path taken by each character is rarely anticipated. When Morpheus is ready to leave Hell Lucifer attempts a power hold, but Morpheus walks out of Hell because of the power of dreams of Heaven.

A little disappointed with the graphics and inking, very old school. But I did not buy this because of the art work, the storyline is much more powerful than any ink. It was easy to read the conversation because Dream/Morpheus have different bubbles, I was thankful for that many times.

This is a keeper for the collection, I actually bought it. Unlike many of my reviews are borrowed from the local Library.

4.0 out of 5.0 Wasabis
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.