Isabella's Reviews > Wanderlove

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: were-in-the-pipe-five-by-five, ya, loved-it
Read from March 25 to 28, 2012

I used to travel with my parents when I was younger. It was mostly road trips to other countries in Europe. Sometimes our vacation was planned in detail, sometimes we kind of took what we got with no specific plan or goal except to discover and experience as much as we could. The last time I travelled with my parents was when I was sixteen, that is, ten years ago. I haven't left the country since then, if you not count a day trip to Germany to buy booze.
It feels kind of sad but I haven't have the money, time or motivation to go travel since then.

Until now.

I finished Wanderlove last night and I haven't been able to stop think about it. I'm in love with this book.

It's about Bria, eighteen years old and fresh out of high school. When her friends back out from their planned trip together she goes by herself. With a tour group she's ready to explore Central America for three weeks. But the tour group isn't what she believed it would be and when she meet two backpackers she soon leaves her tourgroup to join them.
The backpackers are Rowan and Starling, which are brother and sister and they kind of take Bria under their wing. When Starling leaves unexpectedly, Bria will have to travel alone with Rowan. He's heading for an island and a job as a diver instructor and Bria follows him there to spend her time before her booked flight takes her home to the states.

All Bria want is to leave her past behind and the longer we get into the story the more the reasons becomes clear for the reader. Rowan also struggles with his past but when Bria tries to be the bad girl she isn't, Rowan tries to be good.

The story is beautifully told, the characters believable and I love how the relationship between Bria and Rowan developes from strangers who isn't really happy about the situation they found themself in to become friends who share their stories (some, not all) with each other to something more.

But it's not only a lovestory about two people. It's a lovestory about traveling, about adventure, about art and so much more. And if you don't long to travel after you read it, something must be broken in you.
Okey, maybe not. But you know what I mean.

I could go on and on about this book but I leave it here. Got to go planning my new backpacker life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlove.