Susie's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

882058
Apr 16, 12

Read from March 21 to April 16, 2012

A Storm of Swords was perfection. This might be my favorite book in the Song of Ice and Fire series so far, although they’ve all been stellar.
This novel came together like a literary symphony. Up to this point, the woodwinds had their own melody and the horns had started an accompaniment. The percussion seemed to be on their own entirely at times. But as the novel progressed, all of the instrumental groups came together creating a fascinating and hypnotic harmony. As I write this, I’m thinking “geez Susie, this sounds obnoxiously pretentious”, but I can honestly say that this is the best method I can come up with to describe not only the mind-blowing writing quality but the overall effect that A Storm of Swords had on me. With as many plot lines and characters as Martin has going at any given moment, these books could seem more like a cacophony than a concerto and it speaks volumes about the author’s talent and organizational skills that they never come off as anything but entertaining.
Martin knocks off enough characters to be scarily close to homicidal status, but that’s another perk to the books: you seriously never know what’s going to happen next. I’m starting to love characters that I loathed and find cracks in the armor of the supposed heroes.
Martin can write incredibly gruesome scenes of blood and butchery, but he also knows when to leave the details up to the reader’s imagination and sum the carnage up in a sentence or two. Personally, I get a little nauseous when I come across topics like rape, the murder of children and the torture and slaughter of animals. I know they happen, but I don’t want the gory details. And I really respect Martin for knowing when to draw the line, unlike a lot of fantasy authors out there who seem to think that a chapter without a wench-rape is incomplete.
I had planned on reading a few books I’d been putting off while engrossed in the Song of Ice and Fire series before starting Martin’s next book, but that idea went right out the window after I read the last few chapters of A Storm of Swords. Looks like I’ll be cracking A Feast for Crows immediately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.