M.'s Reviews > Scorched Skies

Apr 30, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: plot-by-numbers
Read from April 26 to 30, 2012

Phew! Finally finished this book. It almost went to the dump pile. Why? If you read any of the Samantha Young series you pretty much read them all. All of her books follow the exact same plot pattern. First book is all about the heroine discovering about her heritage, starting developing a major crush on the emotionally unavailable hero who spent the entire first book hiding something important from her to protect her.
Second book is all about the heroine going places and meeting a bunch of new people, some that will be friendly towards her and some that will be downright hostile. She will meet a girl that she will befriend instantly. There are lots of tension between the heroine and the hero. A new bad guy will appear to harass the heroine but since he is not the main bad guy, he will probably be dealt with by the end of the second book.
The only thing that changes from one series to another is the type of paranormal beings our heroes are.
Okay, the Fire Spirits series is the one with the least amount of romance in it. So far, there has been only three kisses in total. One in the first book, then two in the second. At this rate our heroine will never trade in her V-card. But the number of missed opportunities were endless. Every time they were having a romantic moment someone would interrupt. I find this type of plot ploy completely cheap and unimaginative. The love triangle was also extremely annoying and it didn't help the story one bit.
Scorched Skies finish on a low note for me with an extremely predictable ending. It was so bad that I didn't even want to read the Epilogue.
That is it for Samantha's books for me. I'm not even reading the last book of this one. It is really a shame. She is not a bad writer, she just doesn't know how to write new and interesting stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorched Skies.

04/28/2012
60.0% "Not nearly as good as Smokeless Fire. Sort of boring."

message 1: by Ferdy (new)

Ferdy That's why Samantha Young's books are on the bottom of my TBR..she's a fairly decent writer but all her series are basically the same.. and I'm just sick of the usual virgin heroine finding out she's speshul and falling for older hero, then fighting bad guys, then angsting over one of hero's 'slutty' ex lovers, then fighting more, then smexing it up with hero..blah blah blah..the author needs to come up with a bloody original idea.

message 2: by M. (new) - rated it 2 stars

M. Ferdy wrote: "That's why Samantha Young's books are on the bottom of my TBR..she's a fairly decent writer but all her series are basically the same.. and I'm just sick of the usual virgin heroine finding out she..."

Ditto. I wasn't going to read Fire Spirits but then I was traveling and had nothing to read and Smokeless Fire was already on my Kindle... so you know the drill.

Ciara1973 When I think about it, your right about the plot. Guess that's it for me....