Liz's Reviews > Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope

Gabby by Gabrielle Giffords

Mar 28, 12

Read from March 25 to 27, 2012

This book was much more personal, less saccharine and better written than I expected (I wish I knew whether to attribute that to Mark Kelly or to the co-author whose name only appears at the end). The chapters alternate between various points in time, which builds tension and maintains interest. For awhile I thought we weren't going to get any detail on how Kelly learned about the shooting and his immediate responses, but that material is included, and is as hair-raising as you'd expect. The book doesn't feel like a one-off, like it's capitalizing on or giving in to the interest in these events. It was clearly written quickly as it only covers the seven months after the shooting, but it's very open, frank and detailed about its authors' lives. And yes, it's inspirational and uplifting if you focus on the medical miracle and love story at hand. Just don't think too much about how this tragedy could have been prevented (ahem, gun control) or the effects of social violence on the families of those whose luck didn't hold out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabby.