Pamela's Reviews > Slave to Sensation

Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

Jul 12, 07

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, science-fiction
Read in February, 2007

This is one of those books that nearly loses me because of a very bad cover. The cover is violently pink and purple with a bad title font and a cheesy-looking guy staring seductively out. Urgh. The celebrity author plug made me laugh, too. Christine Feehan (whose books I really don't like) proclaims, "I LOVE this book! It's a must read for all of my fans!" Uhh... I know that she's trying to bring her considerable fanbase in, but that sounds really conceited, haha.

However, I was drawn in first by the author's name; I think this might be the first romance I've found that's written by a woman I assume is Anglo-Indian. Unfortunately there's no author bio, though, so I'll have to exercise my Google-fu to find out more. Also, the main character isn't white; she is of mixed race (Anglo-Indian, Japanese, and Caucasian), and I'm very impressed by this. It's so rare to find a non-white heroine in a romance that isn't directed at a specific community, such as African-American romances.

The story, fortunately, is much better than the cover lets on. It's interesting; futuristic without really being science fiction and paranormal without falling victim to the usual vampires and werewolves genre clichés. The main character is Sascha Duncan, a Psy, one of a race of psychic humans who in the past hundred years have "perfected" their race through a program called Silence. Basically, the Psy are programmed from birth to not feel emotion. Sascha, however, has known her whole life that something isn't right about her, and she has to hide her flaws behind strong mental shields to keep from being reprogrammed--being chemically lobotomized and turned into a walking vegetable.

Sascha is sent to work with a changeling group, a pack of shapeshifter leopards, and... well, lots of stuff happens. I can't be too specific or I'll spoil the story, hehe. Let's just say that Sascha has to deal with a pushy alpha leopard, help find a kidnapped girl, and find a serial killer in the midst of her supposedly-nonviolent kin.

It took a while for the book to really catch my attention. I was bored through the first hundred pages or so, and then it caught me by the balls, so to speak, and I was hooked. The ending felt a little... tidy? But that's something I've noticed in several of the paranormal romances I've read; when the mystery is solved at the end, everything's just a little too clean and convenient. Disappointing as that is, it doesn't really detract from the story itself. Singh has created a fascinating alternate world, with intricate relations both within and between the different races of people.

This is a pretty cool book. I found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it, which is always a good sign.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave to Sensation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I haven't read this but started out with her Guild Hunter books instead. I like the concept of this story so I will probably give it a try. The author is really good at presenting a story and moving right along, at least she was in Angel's Blood.

When I read the synopsis for this story I think that this race might in some ways be equivalent to middle eastern races where their women are basically kept captive their entire lives. What are your thoughts on that after reading the series?

SimBim Her second name is Singh, and Nalini is an indian name...trust me, she's indian ;)
I'm so excited to read this becuase (WHOO!) I'm indian, and I hope this author meets my expectations! Don't even ask why I'm so excited, I'm a complicated, weird person! :)

Melissa I agree, the cover is terrible! Great book though.