Andrea (Cozy Up With A Good Read)'s Reviews > So Close to You

So Close to You by Rachel Carter

Jul 20, 12

Read from July 04 to 06, 2012

This and other reviews can be found at Cozy Up With A Good Read

I love books that deal with time travel, add in a government conspiracy and I am definitely hooked. SO CLOSE TO YOU was a great mixture of these two, with an added bit of romance (not that it takes over the story). This story reminded me so much of BACK TO THE FUTURE (which is one of my favourite movies!).

I found this book a lot different than other YA books out there lately, because there is a large focus on family. Lydia's family is a huge part of the story, her parents are in the picture and she spends time with her grandfather. It's nice to see a character close with her family, and the focus of the book more on family relationships rather than boys.

I did find that in the beginning the story moved a little slow for my liking, but it picks up quickly as Lydia starts discovering many of the secrets and begins to investigate the Montauk Project more. Carter adds in a little bit of science to make the idea probable, which was really interesting. I really enjoy the science fiction and conspiracy theory plot of the book, it gives readers something different.

The characters throughout were very well written. I really loved Mary, a character who is so full of life in a time of war. She always had fun with whatever she was doing and could always lighten up a dark mood. It's great to see characters who are so happy even in the worst of times, it always makes for an uplifting read. Lydia was a very inquisitive character, and was always searching for answers, I liked that she didn't let the romance get in her way. She is a character that really fought for what she wanted.

The ending really took me for surprise and I can't even imagine where Carter will take the next book. This was a really fun and enjoyable read. If you liked the BACK TO THE FUTURE movies you will definitely enjoy this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Close to You.

07/05/2012 page 180