Nick's Reviews > Star Trek: The Manga, Volume 3: Uchu

M 50x66
Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novel-fantasy-sf
Read in March, 2012

I freely admit that it took me a long time to build up the nerve to read this manga-style graphic novel. I thought that Star Trek, manga style was a bad idea.
I'm still not convinced of the format, or the choices made by the artists, but the writing of the stories was quite good. The most pleasant surprise was Wil Wheaton's story, Art of War. It takes an SF standard idea, of enemies forced to work together, and by viewing it in flashback from the parallel court martials, provides insights into human and Klingon cultures, and the military thought patterns after the Organian treaty. Very well done, and worth reading.
David Gerrold also turned in a story, Bandi, which is both a sequel and a counterpoint to his famous Trouble with Tribbles. Also very well done, and worth reading.
The Humanitarian, by Luis Reyes, was about the difference between not feeling emotions and not expressing emotions. Some fans lose track of the difference, when viewing Vulcans.
Inalienable Rights, by Nathaniel Bowden, might have been better without the obligatory "female alien flirts with Captain Kirk for no apparent reason" incident, but still wasn't bad.
Overall, a worthwhile attempt at portraying the Star Trek classic characters in a manga format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Trek.