Mel's Reviews > Doctor Who: Shada

Doctor Who by Gareth Roberts

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: doctor-who, 21st-century-fiction
Read from March 15 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

So when I first heard they were novelising Shada I couldn't think why. It seemed almost disrespectful to Douglas Adams and really who would be able to do it justice? Then I went and read some of the novels that Gareth Roberts had written about Doctor and Romana and knew he was exactly who should be doing this! This book was brilliant! It was hilarious. The characterisation was perfect. The first half was definitely my favourite. All the jokes about Skagra looking like a disco queen were perfect. And the poor young gay guy who thought he was getting picked up!

There were a few changes to the original, more continuity for the new characters, an explanation of Skagra's homeworld and motivation, an ending that explained things much better. The only complaint that I had was he took away the scene where Romana and Claire managing to do incredibly complicated technical stuff to enable the Doctor to get to the spaceship, and replaced it with a conversation about them and their relationships with the men! (Which was still highly amusing but I would haave liked to have had both!)

I've seen both the edited from the lost footage and the audio version of this story and I have to say the book is by far my favourite. Without a doubt the best Doctor Who book I've ever read. I really hope Gareth Roberts writes these two again!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.