Lari Don's Reviews > A Game Of Thrones preview

A Game Of Thrones preview by George R.R. Martin

Mar 27, 2012

I have a (bad?) habit of resisting books which everyone else is raving about, so all the fuss about the TV adaptation of this series put me off a bit. But I write fantasy, so I thought I probably owed it to my professional self to do some weightlifting and actually at least start the massive thing. And I was lost in it immediately. This is like no other fantasy I've ever read. There aren't really any adjectives left to describe it after all the other reviews out there. But I think for me the main word is surprising. I was surprised at the almost complete lack of overt magic in this book. And I was amazed at the expert marshalling of a huge cast of characters, and the perfect selection of a few point of view characters. As a children's writer, it probably helped for me that several of the main characters were kids or teenagers, but it's not a children's book. Oh no. There is a lot of nasty death in here, and even more graphic sex. But it has everything else too. Politics, battles, emotion, betrayal, a created history and a future you care about. I'm descending into lists here. So I'll stop, by saying, five stars isn't enough for this book. Read it. It's wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game Of Thrones preview.