Jordan's Reviews > World Made by Hand

World Made by Hand by James Howard Kunstler

M 50x66
Aug 11, 2008

did not like it

this book kind of sucked.

the story may reference peak oil issues but it doesn't particularly demonstrate how a declining oil supply effects a culture.

the really bad part is the main character who is sad and everyone in the town is sad and then wakes up, goes on an adventure, kills a guy, sleeps with or is kissed by every married or widowed girl in town, enlivens a whole town, and makes friends with a strange insect-like cult (with no explanation as to why they house a giant queen-bee-like southern women who smells like honey and eats massive amounts of cornbread) it's self congradulatory.

The book even spends a little bit of time explaining why feminism will go away in a declining oil situation and how the women will stay home and clean while the men go out and make decisions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Made by Hand.

06/22/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben lol! Thanks for the heads up Jordan. Good informative and funny review.

Dylan I find this review a little bit unfair. Nothing you said is inaccurate (except that book is 100% about a culture affected by a declining oil supply). But you make it sound as if the book is completely ridiculous by the way you enumerate every little part of the plot you didn't like without mentioning that the plot actually flows and fits together pretty well. And whether or not you agree with the speculation of the position of women in this fictitious community, it is only that--speculation. It is not a prescription. And I would be willing to bet that the author was not suggesting the disenfranchisement of women is any more desirable than the nuclear explosions in the story that are equally speculative.

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat While I mostly enjoyed this book I totally agree with your assessment. The hive-like religious cult is explained more (although not enough for the amount of page-space they get) in the second book. See, I liked this one enough to read the second book. All in all, it was interesting and thought-provoking....I had several conversations during and after reading it about what I thought the future would hold. Thanks for your review!