Tom Burke's Reviews > The Time of Our Lives: A conversation about America; Who we are, where we've been, and where we need to go now, to recapture the American dream

The Time of Our Lives by Tom Brokaw

Mar 24, 12

Tom Brokaw has been in the popular culture for so long, it is hard not to hear him as you read this book. It is an interesting chronicle of the past 50 years that has a message: we need to change.

It is a noble effort from a trusted source. His scholarly approach lays out one topic after another: education, service, the internet and so on. Each chapter follows the same format: the past, the present, the challenge for the future. It all makes logical sense and is actually the kind of treatment that always appealed to me.

So what happened? For one, familiarity seems to breed a touch of contempt. Brokaw has held on so many of these touchstone moments in the past that now it seems like an encore no one was asking for. And he is starting to sound outdated. When someone talks about the internet and how millions log on all the time, I have to laugh. Log on?

I like the guy and did enjoy the book. I just found old Tom a little old fashioned. Not a bad thing, but not a great thing for a journalist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time of Our Lives.