Brian's Reviews > A Community Called Atonement

A Community Called Atonement by Scot McKnight

Mar 27, 12

Read from March 21 to 27, 2012

McKnight says in the beginning that he wanted to make it accessible. He does that, although I would have liked a little more depth at times. He does a fairly good job of laying out the various theories of the atonement. He tries to fit the ones together that he finds convincing although I don't know if I can say that I was completely convinced.

The best thing about this book is that he shows us that there is no simple formula, the atonement is more than that. It isn't just something that we can intellectually grasp it has to change our lives.

This is a good introduction to the atonement and how we can apply it to out Christian lives. If your looking for a lot of meat and depth you're probably better off looking somewhere else though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Community Called Atonement.

03/21/2012
18.0% "Hmm, he started out the book saying that he wants to write a book that is accessible to everyone. That's great. I don't mind reading tough books either...At this point I'm finding it very tough to follow. He seems to be jumping all over the place and using words that aren't accessible to everyone. Lets hope he pulls it together at some point."
03/21/2012
18.0% "Also, he mentioned that when it comes to the Atonement that many theologians find a theory they like and try to base everything off of that. It is a little to early to tell, but at this point it seems like he is doing just that with his "community called atonement""
show 8 hidden updates…