Ruthie's Reviews > Eden

Eden by Keary Taylor

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: owned-kindle
Read in March, 2012

I've been dying to read Eden ever since a friend of mine first introduced me to Keary Taylor's blog. I waited though, because I wanted to be able to buy her book for myself, not just get this one from the library. Once I snagged a copy for my kindle, I was super excited to dive in!

Eden is a dystopian novel set in a future where an attempt to make life better for everyone went terribly wrong. Doctors created a way to introduce nano technology into humans to do things like grow new limbs or organs that have been destroyed or compromised, but the technology evolved, and pretty soon it wasn't stopping at just regrowing a missing limb, it was taking over the humans entirely.

Civilization has been destroyed as a result of these cybernetics, and Eden is a small group of people living in the wilderness just trying to survive. The community is run by one older man, their "doctor" (who hadn't fully completed schooling), and a teenage girl. The first two made sense from the get go, and it doesn't take long for the reader to find out why this teenager, Eve, is so important to the camp. She is an incredibly hunter, a valuable skill to wilderness survival, and she also has keen instincts when it comes to protecting the people of Eden.

Eve's only problem other than trying to survive is that she can't remember anything prior to joining the others when she was 13. She has a few nightmares that almost seem like memories, but they are too strange to be believed, so naturally she doesn't. That is until a boy joins the colony that says he knew her before The Fall, and Eve begins to discover a past that's even stranger than her dreams.

I loved this book! Eve is not a typical teenager in any way, and watching her emotional journey was really interesting. The book was fast paced and kept me turning pages as the mystery slowly unfolded, and as the people of Eden struggled to survive.

I'm giving this book 4 stars and highly recommend it! The only thing holding me back from giving it 5 stars is that there was one part of the book that seemed a little implausible from a practicality stand point, but it doesn't distract from the overall story. I'm looking forward to reading more of this excellent author's books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.