Hilary's Reviews > The Rhetoric of Fiction

The Rhetoric of Fiction by Wayne C. Booth

Mar 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: grad-class

Exam reading. Most of you probably don't care to read this. I won't be offended.

This is pretty much THE bible for rhetorical literary criticism, which is, I discovered through the course of my PhD coursework, how I actually think of literature but didn't have the language for until recently. (My dissertation is going to be about applying this framework in secondary English. For those of you who care. Which isn't too many of you.)

However, this particular text, for my purposes, was only super useful during Part One. The second and third sections were less what I needed, so I admit I skimmed them. What is nice about this second edition is that the author spends quite a bit of time going back over his first edition and amending things he believed to be true then, but sees differently now, responding to feedback/criticism he had gotten in the 20 years since the first publication, etc.

Anyway, this book is GIGANTIC, and I read it in one sitting. This is my job for the moment, I realize (I am currently at "the office" aka, the Caribou Coffee near my house) so I'm not looking for any sort of pat on the back, but seriously. 400 pages of academic writing in one day? My brain was fried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rhetoric of Fiction.

02/18 marked as: read

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah You are amazing. I had to read and critique this book for a graduate-level course and believe me, I could not *imagine* reading it all in one day. It's a honkin' tome. Kudos to you!