Linda Day's Reviews > Savvy

F 50x66
Mar 21, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

This would probably be a 3 and 1/2 if such a rating existed. Because it is a YA novel and as I I would recommend it for younger YA readers I would lean towards the 4. For sure !!!

Anyhoo ... it seems that this is a story of a girl, but, in reality, (if reality existed in this novel ... ) it is the story of a family who are given gifts. To one is given the gift of "being perfect", to another, the gift of electrical power, to another the gift to store wonderful music in a jar, another to expand land, another to control water and wind. These "gifts" arrive on the 13th birthday, unknown, unheralded, and life-changing.

Enter the girl (Mibs) who is on the cusp of her thirteenth birthday. A whole lot of things happen immediately before Mibs is to realize her gift and she, her brothers, and some school acquaintances stow away on an old school bus, now being used to deliver Bibles. The ensuing experiences are those a middle-schooler would l.o.v.e, and I don't want to give away lest I invoke the "spoiler" on my review. Let me say the plot is funny, quick-moving, absolutely impossible, and yet applicable in a discussion.

Read this in Book Club, and we had a great time with the discussion. If you are involved in a Mother/Daughter Book Club it would be even more lively, I am sure ! (especially the tattoo part !)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savvy.