Matt DeCostanza's Reviews > Sanctuary

Sanctuary by William Faulkner

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: modernism
Read from March 21 to April 30, 2012

Of Faulkner's works I have only read Sanctuary, As I Lay Dying and the story Barn Burning. I thought nothing of Barn Burning, but As I Lay Dying floored me. It's such a novel that wastes no time, gets right to the point it wants to make and does so phenomenally. On the other hand, I gave up on Sanctuary by about page 100. Life is too short and too full of other books to tease out Faulkners meaning when it is so esoteric as here.

I know I have probably done myself a disservice, or whatever, by not finishing this book because one is supposed to read all of a William Faulkner to completely get it. But I'm becoming increasingly weary of this inclination modern literature has to obscure its message, especially when the message is not so profound. In Sanctuary, Faulkner seems to say that violence and prejudice are bad. Call me a Millenial, but I already knew that and wasnt keen on having a 300 page novel convey that to me.

This was assigned reading. After I write an essay on this I will probably be assigned The Sound and the Fury.

Can't I just read Cormac McCarthy? :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sanctuary.

03/21/2012 "He just used the phrase "modernist lampshade". Sellout by page three."